lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jim Swainston <jimswains...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Grouping Clauses to Preserve Order of Boolean Precedence
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 12:45:15 GMT
But the query parser doesn't seem to do that for me with the input Marketing
AND Smith OR Davies. The query parser gives me 3 clauses. 1 must clause for
the term Marketing, 1 must clause for the term smith and 1 should clause for
the term Davies. e.g. +Marketing +Smith SHOULD Davies. What I would like the
query parser to be doing is recognising the order of Boolean precedence so
that it automatically gives me the nested query you describe e.g. SHOULD
(+Marketing +Smith) SHOULD Davies.

If Lucene can't do this does anyone know of any algorithms for generating
these nested queries so that they follow the order of Boolean precedence?