lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: SSD Experience (on developer machine)
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:56:44 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 17:56 +0200, Federico Fissore wrote:
> Great reply, thank you. Will re-read it and re-evaluate my position

Thanks for having an open mind.

Toke:
> > Let's say you have a drive with just 5GB left. Let's say that the cells
> > can handle 10,000 writes. Doing constant rewrites of the 5GB gives you
> > 10,000 * 5GB = 50TB before the drive gives up.
> [...]
>
> 50TB before _every single cell in the drive_ gives up. You will change
> the drive much sooner, probably at the first two occasions of corrupted
> data.

50TB for the 5GB of cells. The rest of the cells will be fine since
they've only ever been written to once in this artificial
destroy-the-drive test case. Of course that still leaves the drive
unusable. But oh well, I am firmly in the "this is so hot that I will
accept an astonishing amount of insane"-camp, so I tend focus a lot on
the positive things about SSDs.

As for corrupted data then at least some SSDs (Intel comes to mind) will
just stop accepting new data if they ever reach the point of being worn
out. They can still be read. The really great thing, seen from a server
perspective, is that the current state of wear can be queried: If it is
used for some special setup which requires an insane amount of small
writes, then it is a great help for the admin to be warned about pending
death.

Of course nothing guarantees that everything works as advertised. This
is where some real statistics on models and recalls would come in handy.

> fede

Heh. I'm sorry, but in danish "fede" means "fatty". On the other hand, I
also know what "Toke" means in english.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen