lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: SSD Experience (on developer machine)
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:46:25 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 17:20 +0200, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Funnily, I had such an experience: an SSD on the laptop of the brand SanDisk, guaranteed
for 80 TB of writes.
> Well, I had it twice changed under guarantee. Then the shop provided me an OCZ.
> Maybe that lasts longer... I'm still in guarantee.

Do you know if it was wear that broke the drive or some other defect?
There seems to be a strong tendency to attribute failing SSDs to wear,
while there can be a number of reasons. I am not claiming that SSDs are
unfailable, but I do claim that the fear of wearing them out is
unfounded.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen