lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: SSD Experience
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:04:24 GMT
On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 10:23 +0200, Dawid Weiss wrote:
> This one is humorous (watch for foul language though). It does get to
> the point, however, and Bergman is a clever guy:

http://www.livestream.com/oreillyconfs/video?clipId=pla_3beec3a2-54f5-4a19-8aaf-35a839b6ecaa

We installed SSDs in all developer machines in 2009 (Intel X25) and
haven't looked back. They are now default for new laptops, most desktops
and all search server machines (okay, except for a rusty old test
machine, but that is mostly used for index building).

I think one of the important points that Bergman states is that SSDs are
cheaper than harddrives, if we're looking at performance instead of disk
space. The gut reaction is "but they are so expensive" but when we're
comparing to the alternative of RAIDing and bulking up on RAM, this
often turns out to be wrong. For developer machines, the advantage of a
more responsive machine is obvious.