lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: Does change to ICU in Lucene/Solr 3.3 require re-indexing?
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:04:52 GMT
On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Burton-West, Tom <> wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
> Looks like we indexed with icu4j-4_4_2.jar, which I assume is a 4.4 version using unicode
> 3.1 dev: icu4j-4_4_2.jar
> 3.3:     icu4j-4_8.jar
> So do I just put the icu4j-4_4_2.jar in $SOLR_HOME/lib alongside the lucene-icu-3.1-SNAPSHOT.jar?

this is just what i would do.

the only reason this would not work, is if we broke backwards
compatibility in lucene itself.
When we do this, its always at the top of the CHANGES.txt... I don't
think we did this since 3.1 with anything analysis related.

But if you want to be super-careful! I would do this:

take your specific revision of contrib/icu and plop it in a lucene 3.3 checkout.
then run all its tests, and use that, so its recompiled and tested
against lucene-3.3's core.

I definitely would not reindex though!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: