lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AutomatonQuery Caching
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:22:00 GMT
On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM, "René Hackl" <rene.a.hackl@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running some AutomatonQueries and see caching effects happening, that I can't seem
to get rid of. E.g. an AutomatonQuery takes

> Run 1: 3000 ms
> Run 2 and all subsequent runs: 250 ms
>
> The IndexSearcher is closed after every full query circle (and opened via open(Directory),
so the IndexReader should be closed, too, right?). I have changed indexes, restarted Eclipse,
and run GC to no effect. I am thinking FieldCache.purge might help, but how do i get there?

> Also, how to reasonably assess execution times for AQs? The very first runs can last
pretty long, yet cached queries are fast. Overlap seems to benefit queries down the line,
e.g. "*ration" is much faster if sometime before "*ation" has been run. Would it be feasible
to warm an index with the most frequent ngrams for AutomatonQueries?

This is probably just your OS caching? this query has no caching.

--
lucidimagination.com