lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Saurabh Gokhale <saurabhgokh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Separating IndeWriter with NRT
Date Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:52:03 GMT
Hi,

I am performing the same activity that you have specified. I have indexer as
a thread which starts at the server start up and searcher as a web app.

I am managing the index reader and writer objects using a factory. This
factory is a singleton instance which maintains one writer, reader and a
searcher object. If the objects are null, I create them and if they exists I
return the same objects back.

Now regarding NRT indexed access, currently whenever a new request for the
searcher object comes in, before I return a searcher object, I reopen reader
and check if the old reader and the new readers are same, if not, I assigned
the newly created reader to instance reader object and since by searcher
object is created using reader object, searchers gets access to not yet
committed data.

Code example:
searcher = new IndexSearcher(getIndexReader());

Reader:
getReader()
{
   if (reader == null)
   {
        reader = writer.getReader();
    }
   else
   {
        IndexReader newReader = reader.reopen();
        if(newReader != reader)
        {
          //reader.close(); --> Reader.close() may give you errors elsewhere
if you have loosely coupled code, like other thread using that reader for
some other job like MoreLikeThis class
          reader = newReader;
        }
   return reader;

I am able to get newly indexed, not yet committed data in my search results
with this change. I am not checking isCurrent on the reader though that I
will try before opening the reader.

Thanks

Saurabh