lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From govind bhardwaj <govins...@gmail.com>
Subject Escaping Special Characters
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 08:21:24 GMT
Hi,

I am using Lucene version 3.1
Previously I had trouble regarding special characters as when I entered
"---" as my input, it gave the following error

*Caused by: org.apache.lucene.queryParser.ParseException: Encountered " "-"
"- "" at line 1, column 1.
Was expecting one of:
    "(" ...
    "*" ...
    <QUOTED> ...
    <TERM> ...
    <PREFIXTERM> ...
    <WILDTERM> ...
    "[" ...
    "{" ...
    <NUMBER> ...
    <TERM> ...
    "*" ...

*To overcome this, I used escape() method of the QueryParser and worked
fine. But now, unlike previously, the search for "item*" yielded no results
because I guess it escaped the asterisk character too. How should I go about
preventing this from happening ? I am using MultiFieldQueryParser.

Govind
*

*--
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.