lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rene Hackl-Sommer <rene.a.ha...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: AutomatonQuery Caching
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:12:54 GMT
This sounds plausible, even if manually cleaning the Java cache has no
effect. Probably a JDK/JRE mismatch somewhere, just have to find the spot.

Thanks,
Rene

Am 12.07.2011 19:22, schrieb Robert Muir:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM, "René Hackl"<rene.a.hackl@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running some AutomatonQueries and see caching effects happening, that I can't
seem to get rid of. E.g. an AutomatonQuery takes

>> Run 1: 3000 ms
>> Run 2 and all subsequent runs: 250 ms
>>
>> The IndexSearcher is closed after every full query circle (and opened via open(Directory),
so the IndexReader should be closed, too, right?). I have changed indexes, restarted Eclipse,
and run GC to no effect. I am thinking FieldCache.purge might help, but how do i get there?

>> Also, how to reasonably assess execution times for AQs? The very first runs can last
pretty long, yet cached queries are fast. Overlap seems to benefit queries down the line,
e.g. "*ration" is much faster if sometime before "*ation" has been run. Would it be feasible
to warm an index with the most frequent ngrams for AutomatonQueries?