lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Rewig <>
Subject name matching / mapping
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 15:09:33 GMT

until now, we use a stupid %like% SQL query script to assign the
following terms for Id/Item mapping in different id-spaces:

john wayne == john wayne
wayne, john == john wayne

I can imagine that Lucene offers much more possibilities for this
Maybe with Lucene is also possible to match:

j. wayne == john wayne
john w. == john wayne

and do not link

J. Smith != john wayne
John S. != john wayne

I've searched the web on this topic and found a very old forum post that
it suggesting that lucene had not yet developed so far to solve this task.

I wonder whether there is now a clever standard approach using Lucene to
solve this problem?

I can imagine that a approach like the Spellchecker is using might work.
If the Spellindex holds all names of the second id-space and the first
id-space is used for the querrys.

String[] suggestions = spellchecker.suggestSimilar("john w.", 5);

But is there a better approach?
Can someone point me in the right direction for a effective approach?

Thanks in advance

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message