lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "René Hackl" <rene.a.ha...@gmx.de>
Subject AutomatonQuery Caching
Date Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:42:41 GMT
Hi,

I am running some AutomatonQueries and see caching effects happening, that I can't seem to
get rid of. E.g. an AutomatonQuery takes

Run 1: 3000 ms
Run 2 and all subsequent runs: 250 ms

The IndexSearcher is closed after every full query circle (and opened via open(Directory),
so the IndexReader should be closed, too, right?). I have changed indexes, restarted Eclipse,
and run GC to no effect. I am thinking FieldCache.purge might help, but how do i get there?

Also, how to reasonably assess execution times for AQs? The very first runs can last pretty
long, yet cached queries are fast. Overlap seems to benefit queries down the line, e.g. "*ration"
is much faster if sometime before "*ation" has been run. Would it be feasible to warm an index
with the most frequent ngrams for AutomatonQueries?

Any pointers?

Thanks,
Rene