lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Elmer <>
Subject Autocompletion on large index
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 16:08:18 GMT
Hi again.

I have created my own autocompleter based on the spellchecker. This
works well in a sense that it is able to create an auto completion index
from my 'publication' index. However, integrated in my web application,
each keypress asks autocompleter to search the index, which is stored on
disk (not in mem), just like spellchecker does (except that spellchecker
is not invoked every keypress).
With Lucene 3.3.0, auto completion modules are included, which load
their trees/fsa/... in memory. I'd like to use these modules, but the
problem is that they use more than 2.5GB, causing heap space exceptions.
This happens when I try to build a LookUp index (fst,jaspell or tst,
doesn't matter) from my 'publication' index consisting of 1.3M
publications. The field I use for autocompletion holds the titles of the
publications indexed untokenized (but lowercased).

Lookup autoCompleter = new TSTLookup();
FSDirectory dir = File("PATHTOINDEX"));
LuceneDictionary dict = new

Is it possible to have the autocompletion module to work in-memory on
such a dataset without increasing java's heapspace?
FTR, the 3.3.0 autocompletion modules use more than 2.5GB of RAM, where
my own autocompleter index is stored on disk using about 300MB.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message