lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Ralf Heyde" <ralf.he...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: Too many open files and ulimit limits reached
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2011 12:50:50 GMT
Hi Dean,

can you describe your problem more in detail?
Some time ago I used Lucene to Index 50-Millions of medium-sized-text
documents. But I didn't run into a problem having 1000th of open files.
Maybe you can explain, what are you trying to do?

Regards, Ralf

-----Original Message-----
From: Hiller, Dean x66079 [mailto:dean.hiller@broadridge.com]
Sent: Donnerstag, 30. Juni 2011 22:52
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Too many open files and ulimit limits reached

When I do a writer.open(), writer.add(), writer.close(), how many files can
I expect to be opened with Lucene.

I am running indexes on some very big data so we have 160000 writers open
and I hit the limit of 200000 on my machine so I increased it to the max of
1048576 files open, BUT that might not be enough???  I may have to lower my
cache of 160000 to be smaller so curious on how many files open per index.

Thanks,
Dean

addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized
representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail
and delete the message and any attachments from your system.