lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Re: Corrupt segments file full of zeros
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 02:45:02 GMT
On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Here's the issue:
>
>    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3255
>
> It's because we read the first 0 int to be an ancient segments file
> format, and the next 0 int to mean there are no segments.  Yuck!
>
> This format pre-dates Lucene 1.9, so the fix for 3.x is to stop
> supporting this ancient format... but I don't see any easy way to fix
> this pre-3.x where we must (by our back compat rules) support such an
> ancient index.

It's not possible to do something based on the existence of further
zeroes after the first 8 bytes?  I would expect the original format to
have no additional data after that, but I don't exactly know whether a
corrupt file could be exactly 8 bytes long...

TX