lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Index size and performance degradation
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2011 03:43:01 GMT
I agree w/ Erick, there is no cutoff point (index size for that matter)
above which you start sharding.

What you can do is create a scheduled job in your system that runs a select
list of queries and monitors their performance. Once it degrades, it shards
the index by either splitting it (you can use IndexSplitter under contrib)
or create a new shard, and direct new documents to it.

I think I read somewhere, not sure if it was in Solr or ElasticSearch
documentation, about a Balancer object, which moves shards around in order
to balance the load on the cluster. You can implement something similar
which tries to balance the index sizes, creates new shards on-the-fly, even
merge shards if suddenly a whole source is being removed from the system
etc.

Also, note that the 'largest index size' threshold is really a machine
constraint and not Lucene's. So if you decide that 10 GB is your cutoff, it
is pointless to create 10x10GB shards on the same machine -- searching them
is just like searching a 100GB index w/ 10x10GB segments. Perhaps it's even
worse because you consume more RAM when the indexes are split (e.g., terms
index, field infos etc.).

Shai