lucene-java-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jayendra Patil <jayendra.patil....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Boolean Search In Lucene
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:04:22 GMT
The Boolean operators provided basically map to MUST (+), SHOULD (no
symbol) and NOT (-)

If we write query like (jakarta AND apache) OR website what happen?
>> It will return results with documents having Jakarta & Apache or Website

Is it possible that we can get the document that contains 'jakarta'
AND 'apache'. Also document may contain 'website'?
>> +jakarta + apache website should do the trick

Is it possible that if the document do not contains 'jakarta' AND
'apache', but contains 'website', the search result will give the
result for document that contains 'website'?
>> something like this should work -(+jakarta +apache) +website

Another example:

If you search for "(a AND b)" it will return x results
If you search for "c" it will return y results
If you search for "(a and b) or c" the number of results cannot be
less than the larger of x or y. But this is not happening. Please help
how should I proceed to implement this?
>> Should not happen, you may just want to check the query that got executed.

Regards,
Jayendra

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Ranjit Kumar
<Ranjit.Kumar@otssolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> As per the Grouping discussion in the URL below:
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/queryparsersyntax.html
> (jakarta OR apache) AND website query means website must exist and either term jakarta
or apache may exist.
>
> If we write query like (jakarta AND apache) OR website what happen?
> Is it possible that we can get the document that contains 'jakarta' AND 'apache'. Also
document may contain 'website'?
> Is it possible that if the document do not contains 'jakarta' AND 'apache', but contains
'website', the search result will give the result for document that contains 'website'?
>
> Another example:
>
> If you search for "(a AND b)" it will return x results
> If you search for "c" it will return y results
> If you search for "(a and b) or c" the number of results cannot be less than the larger
of x or y. But this is not happening. Please help how should I proceed to implement this?
>
> Any help or suggestion will be appreciated!!!
> Thanks & Regards,
> Ranjit Kumar
> ===================================================================================================
Private, Confidential and Privileged. This e-mail and any files and attachments transmitted
with it are confidential and/or privileged. They are intended solely for the use of the intended
recipient. The content of this e-mail and any file or attachment transmitted with it may have
been changed or altered without the consent of the author. If you are not the intended recipient,
please note that any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing, circulation
or Transmission of this e-mail and/or any file or attachment transmitted with it, is prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail or any file or attachment transmitted
with it in error please notify OTS Solutions at info@otssolutions.com ===================================================================================================
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-user-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message