lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <>
Subject Re: Does {Filter}ing is faster than {Query}ing in Lucene?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:24:49 GMT
Generalisation is risky, particularly wrt performance, but I'd say
yes, particularly if you can cache and reuse the filter e.g. with
CachingWrapperFilter.  See  Not very up to
date but I'd expect the conclusions to stand.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Denis Bazhenov <> wrote:
> While reading "Lucene in Action 2nd edition" I came across the description of Filter
classes which are could be used for result filtering in Lucene. Lucene has a lot of filters
repeating Query classes. For example, NumericRangeQuery and NumericRangeFilter.
> The book says that NRF does exactly the same as NRQ but without document scoring. Does
this means that if I do not need scoring or sort documents by document field value I should
preferFiltering over Querying from performance point of view?
> ---
> Denis Bazhenov <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: