lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does {Filter}ing is faster than {Query}ing in Lucene?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:24:49 GMT
Generalisation is risky, particularly wrt performance, but I'd say
yes, particularly if you can cache and reuse the filter e.g. with
CachingWrapperFilter.  See
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/FilteringOptions.  Not very up to
date but I'd expect the conclusions to stand.

--
Ian.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:20 AM, Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com> wrote:
> While reading "Lucene in Action 2nd edition" I came across the description of Filter
classes which are could be used for result filtering in Lucene. Lucene has a lot of filters
repeating Query classes. For example, NumericRangeQuery and NumericRangeFilter.

> The book says that NRF does exactly the same as NRQ but without document scoring. Does
this means that if I do not need scoring or sort documents by document field value I should
preferFiltering over Querying from performance point of view?