lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ranjit Kumar <Ranjit.Ku...@otssolutions.com>
Subject Boolean Search In Lucene
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 09:17:23 GMT
Hi,
As per the Grouping discussion in the URL below:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/queryparsersyntax.html
(jakarta OR apache) AND website query means website must exist and either term jakarta or
apache may exist.

If we write query like (jakarta AND apache) OR website what happen?
Is it possible that we can get the document that contains 'jakarta' AND 'apache'. Also document
may contain 'website'?
Is it possible that if the document do not contains 'jakarta' AND 'apache', but contains 'website',
the search result will give the result for document that contains 'website'?

Another example:

If you search for "(a AND b)" it will return x results
If you search for "c" it will return y results
If you search for "(a and b) or c" the number of results cannot be less than the larger of
x or y. But this is not happening. Please help how should I proceed to implement this?

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated!!!
Thanks & Regards,
Ranjit Kumar
Private, Confidential and Privileged. This e-mail and any files and attachments transmitted
with it are confidential and/or privileged. They are intended solely for the use of the intended
recipient. The content of this e-mail and any file or attachment transmitted with it may have
been changed or altered without the consent of the author. If you are not the intended recipient,
please note that any review, dissemination, disclosure, alteration, printing, circulation
or Transmission of this e-mail and/or any file or attachment transmitted with it, is prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail or any file or attachment transmitted
with it in error please notify OTS Solutions at info@otssolutions.com ===================================================================================================