lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Coloring search results based on score?
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2011 00:26:16 GMT
On 6/17/11 12:29 AM, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:
> No, that was not what I meant.
>

> I'm not interested in coloring the actual text, but in giving the user
> an indication of how relevant the results are. Instead of displaying the
> result score, I want to give some visual meter to show that. The highest
> ranking result will be green if the it is really relevant to the query,
> yellow if less and so on.
>

> My question is if there's a good enough way to measure this - for
> example if the first results is 20 times the score of the second, or
> that's something I can't really do...

What you describe reminds me of a special case of a more general
visualization technique called Tilebars. Tilebars are an N x M
histogram, where N rows correspond to N query terms (or clauses), and M
columns represent buckets of score contributions distributed over the
sections of the document. Each cell is then colored according to the
portion of score that it contains.

The coloring schema may be non-linear, and the document division into
chunks may not be linear either.

You can then collapse Tilebars if you wish in one or both dimensions, e.g.:

* N x 1 represents relative score contributions from each query term
* 1 x M represents the distribution of score contributions along the
length of document
* 1 x 1 represents the relative score of all clauses for the whole
document, relative to other documents (the difference is in coloring)

See this link for more details:
http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~hearst/research/tilebars.html

--
Best regards,