lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Coloring search results based on score?
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:29:55 GMT
No, that was not what I meant.

I'm not interested in coloring the actual text, but in giving the user
an indication of how relevant the results are. Instead of displaying the
result score, I want to give some visual meter to show that. The highest
ranking result will be green if the it is really relevant to the query,
yellow if less and so on.

My question is if there's a good enough way to measure this - for
example if the first results is 20 times the score of the second, or
that's something I can't really do...

On 17/06/2011 01:21, Mark Harwood wrote:

> See Highlighter's GradientFormatter
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>

> On 16 Jun 2011, at 22:01, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> Interesting question: is it possible to color search results in a web-page based
on their score? e.g. most relevant results in green, and then different shades through orange,
yellow, red and then white.

>> Theoretically, one could take the highest score and color based on proximity / distribution,
but the highest score can be invalid in itself.

>> I could bring in a hardcoded cutoff point, where results are not considered relevant
and not color any results if the highest score doesn't go above that threshold (e.g. score
= 1.0), but then again - complex queries can yield relevant results with low scores.