lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Itamar Syn-Hershko <ita...@code972.com>
Subject Re: Index size and performance degradation
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:50:53 GMT
Our problem is a bit different. There aren't always common searches so
if we cache blindly we could end up having too much RAM allocated for
virtually nothing. And we need to allow for real-time search so caching
will hardly help. We enforce some client-side caching, but again - the
real-time requirement is a bit of a problem...

I'm not sure I understood the filters approach you described. Can you
give an example?

So we'll have to sit and plan some strategies. Perhaps a Lucene API to
allow prioritizing caching based on fields is going to prove useful in
such scenarios - so some application logic could make the search core
itself a bit more robust based on usage (or have Lucene learn on its own).

BTW, I don't actually recall reading about this topic anywhere, so
thanks again for all the good advice and perhaps it worthy adding to LIA3 :)

Itamar.