lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Rosemann <alexander.rosem...@gmail.com>
Subject multiple small indexes or one big index?
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:35:04 GMT
Hi all, I was wondering whether you could give me some advice on how to
improve my search performance.

I have 90 lucene indexes, each having different fields (~5 per
Document). When I search, I always have to go through all indexes to
build my result set. Searching one index takes approx. 100ms, thus
searching all indexes takes 9s in total.

How can I reduce the time it needs to search?

I decided to create this many indexes because putting all data in one
index would mean that a document would have ~400 fields, with most of
them left empty. Is that ok? Would a single index be faster compared to
multiple small ones?

Any pointers are much appreciated.

Regards,
Alex