lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Denis Bazhenov <dot...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene sort performance roots?
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:32:58 GMT
Well, maybe it's a bit controversial question, but anyway...

Lucene is a great toolkit for search applications. And it's so fast in most of cases. I think
I am understand why it's faster than relational databases for information retrieval. For example,
Lucene use very efficient index than allows to retrieve posting list in constant time and
do intersect between them.

But there is one aspect which I couldn't understand for a long time now. In our test cases
Lucene perform sorting blazingly fast. This one is freaking me out. I have no explanation
why Lucene should do sorting faster than relational database. Let me put it another way --
I have no explanation why SQL databases should not do it as fast as Lucene.

Is there any explanation for that?
---
Denis Bazhenov <dotsid@gmail.com>