lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Leroy Stone <leroy.st...@umontreal.ca>
Subject Passage retrieval with Lucene-based application
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 19:46:48 GMT

Hello!
         I am purchased "Lucene in Action", 2nd Ed., and posted the
question below at the Manning Forum. Mike MCCandless suggested that I
send it to you.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

________ the question I posted ___________
I would like the search program to return with segments of a document
("paragraphs") that contain my search phrase, rather than simply
pointers to the whole document. in searching among applications based
upon the Lucene, I have found only one that seems to have this
functionality. It is at http://www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop/ . Can
someone point me to some other Lucene-based applications where the
search engine returns text segments from within documents?
Thanks in advance.
________________________

N.B. I know Lucene can be modified to do what I wish.  My problem is
that my professional obligations do not allow the time for me to
build the entire application that I need.  Thus I am searching for
one that exists already, that I can adapt quickly, and which has all
the code with which I must surround Lucene to make a full-blown
application.

The Bible application I cite requires preprocessing of the documents
into SWORD format.  I will try that route if that is all that is
available. I thought I would "look around" (with your help) before
trying to take on the SWORD-format issue.

Thanks.