lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Anyway to not bother scoring less good matches ?
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 23:24:19 GMT

: Well I did extend QuerParser, and the method is being called but rather
: disappointingly it had no noticeablke effect on how long queries took. I
: really thought by reducing the number of matches the corresponding scoring
: phase would be quicker.

"matching" and "scoring" go hand in hand ... the Searcher iterates over
all docs to determine if they match the Query (i'm being grossly simple,
in truth many docs can be skipped wholesale during this iteration because
of conjunctions) and when a matching document is found, it's score is
computed to determine if it's high enough to be included in the results
(ie: is it's score higher then the lowest scoring document already
collected)

The botomline: lucene doesn't know that something is a "less good match"
until it scores it ... the score is what determines how good it is.

-Hoss