lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Renaud Delbru <renaud.del...@deri.org>
Subject Re: Query Parser, Unary Operators and Multi-Field Query
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 17:58:12 GMT
hi,

not necessarily,

I would have expected that the default AND operator applies whenever no
other operators are precised in the query.
As said in [1], "if one or more of the terms in a term list has an
explicit term operator (+ or - or relational operator) the rest of the
terms will be treated as "nice to have. For exmaple

     cat +dog -fox

Selects documents which must contain "dog" and must not contain "fox".
Documents will rank higher if "cat" is present, but it is not required."

I would have expected such behaviour, whatever "Default Operator" as
been defined.

But it seems that I need to use the Default Operator OR to have this
behaviour, which breaks our current requirement (we want default
operator AND if no operators are precised in the query).

IS there anyway to achieve this ? Or do I need to extend myself the
queryparser contrib ?

[1] http://lucidworks.lucidimagination.com/display/LWEUG/Boolean+Operators

Thanks
--
Renaud Delbru

On 20/05/11 13:21, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> Hi Renaud,
>
> That's normal behavior, since you have AND as default operator.  This is equivalent to
placing a "+" in front of every element of your query.  In fact, if you removed the other
two "+"s, you would get the same behavior.  I think you'll get what you want by just switching
the default operator to "OR"?