lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Renaud Delbru <>
Subject Query Parser, Unary Operators and Multi-Field Query
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 09:09:30 GMT

The behaviour of the query parser (either the standard lucene query
parser, or the query parser contrib) is not what I expect when I am using
- unary operators
- a multi-field query
- AND as default operator.

For example, let say I have two field fieldA and fieldB, and the
following query:
+termA +termB termC

Lucene query parsers will expand the query as:
+(fieldA:termA fieldB:termA) +(fieldA:termB fieldB:termB) +(fieldA:termC

while I would have expected this

+(fieldA:termA fieldB:termA) +(fieldA:termB fieldB:termB) (fieldA:termC

Is it the normal behaviour ? A Bug ? Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Renaud Delbru

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: