lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Anyway to not bother scoring less good matches ?
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 11:49:33 GMT
Im receiving a number of searches with many ORs so that the total number
of matches is huge ( > 1 million) although only the first 20 results are
required. Analysis shows most time is spent scoring the results. Now it
seems to me if you sending a query with 10 OR components, documents that
match most of the terms are bound to get a better score than a match
that only matches one or two of the terms.  So does lucene do any
optimization to not bother working out the scores of the poor matches.

EDIT:Actually not sure the statement because if only term matches it
could still get the highest score if the match was on the shortest term.

But can you see my point is there way to get lucene discount the less
good matches without scoring them, or is there another approach. At the
moment we allow the full lucene syntax and use QueryParser to parse a
query and pass the resultant query to search unchanged (execpt for
handling of numeric fields), should I be modifying the query somehow ?

thanks Paul