lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Burton-West, Tom" <tburt...@umich.edu>
Subject RE: Sharding Techniques
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 16:16:51 GMT
Hi Samar,

>>Normal queries go fine under 500 ms but when people start searching
>>"anything" some queries take up to > 100 seconds. Don't you think
>>distributing smaller indexes on different machines would reduce the average
>>.search time. (Although I have a feeling that search time for smaller queries
>>may be slightly increased)

What are the characteristics of your slow queries?  Can you give examples?   Are the slow
queries always slow or only under heavy load?   What the bottleneck is and whether splitting
into smaller indexes would help depends on just what your bottleneck is. It's not clear that
your index is large enough that the size of the index is causing your bottleneck.

We run indexes of about 350GB with average response times under 200ms and 99th percentile
reponse times of under 2 seconds. (We have a very low qps rate however).

Tom