lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ahmet Arslan <iori...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Anyway to not bother scoring less good matches ?
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 10:13:53 GMT
> Yes correct, but I have looked and the list of
> optimizations before. What was clear from profiling was that
> it wasnt the searching part that was slow (a query run on
> the same index with only a few matching docs ran super fast)
> the slowness only occurs when there are loads of matching
> docs, and spends most of its time in scorer that is why I
> was trying to remove the poor matches.

Okey all clear. Can you give us some example query strings where there are loads of matching?

Do you use stop word filter? Could it be case described as

"As you approach the upper limits of a single machine,
extremely frequent terms (called stop words) can become very
expensive in the wrong query. If part of a top level BooleanQuery, a
SHOULD clause that appears in every document will cause a match and
score for every document in your index."

http://www.lucidimagination.com/Community/Hear-from-the-Experts/Articles/Scaling-Lucene-and-Solr