lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <>
Subject Re: Thoughts on Search Analytics?
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 07:04:52 GMT

Le 6 mai 2011 à 00:20, Otis Gospodnetic a écrit :
>> thus far, only search-testing has provided some analytics measures for us
>> (precision and recall ones). We, of course, construct the test-suites from the
>> logs.
> Interesting.  It sounds like you don't currently utilize any sort of reporting
> tool that would tell you more about users' search experience other than what you
> can glean from the logs (number of hits, query string, any other params like hl,
> fq, etc., request handler used, and latency).?

Correct, there was no plan for such operation yet. It can sure be a useful thing.
I wonder if there's a lot of literature about such best practice btw.
This I would be very interested to hear.

> So you can't really tell, for
> example, what percentage of queries are getting DYM suggestions or what
> percentage of queries originate from DYM suggestion, right?  You also can't tell
> which queries result in very low click-through rate? etc.

I think that one of the keys here is that we would need external linkable queries, and in
the ActiveMath engine I've been working on there was none such unfortunately.

> Those are some examples of search analytics reports that I was thinking people
> might be running in order to better understand how their search is behaving and
> what users are experiencing.

It sure is desirable but the toolset was not right-away available for this.

The simple log counts as François Schiettecatte just responded in the solr list would even
be useful but again, it needs a little extra programming.

All people I met would recommend Google Analytics for this. I tend to dislike their approach
and do not know open-source, "my server side", solutions. Hence I made this thread public
to hear about "satelites" (which are somewhat lucene related).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message