Thanks Ian,

I have managed to do that and through Luke I get My expected results.

Here is now my Index Code.

                StringTokenizer st = buildSubjectArea(dbConnection, oid);
                int tokenCount = 0;
                while (st.hasMoreTokens()){
                tokenCount++;
                String categoryPath = st.nextToken();

                    if (categoryPath.length() != 0) {
                        ////doc.add(Field.Text("category", category));
                    doc.add(new Field("category_path",categoryPath,Field.Store.YES,Field.Index.NOT_ANALYZED));

                    }
                }

Now using Luke with KeyworkAnalyser if I enter

category_path:/Top/My Prods*

I get my expected results back.

But I cannot get this working in my search code.
I am using this field to filter the results, i.e.

If I want Top Books I want to filter by /Top/Books*, if I want Top CD's I want to filter by /Top/CD*

Filter string is generated from mapping file which gives me a category path

e.g. /Top/Books

Searcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(FSDirectory.open(new File(index)));
Analyzer analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer(Version.LUCENE_30);
Query  subjectFilterQuery = new TermQuery(new Term("category_path","/Top/Books*"));
QueryWrapperFilter filter = new QueryWrapperFilter(subjectFilterQuery);
TopDocs searchResult = searcher.search(query,filter,MAX_SEARCH_RESULTS_SIZE);

If I debug the subjectFilterQuery and write out

subjectFilterQuery.toString()

I See

"subjectFilterQuery.toString()" category_path:/TOP/CD*
So it looks like the query is constructed correctly ?
But this does not bring back any results ?
You say I need to be consistent in Index and Query, am I missing something.

Many thanks

Mark