lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError with FSDirectory
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:38:26 GMT
FSDirectory will, indeed, store the index on disk. However,
when *using* that index, lots of stuff happens. Specifically:
When indexing, there is a buffer that accumulates documents
until it's flushed to disk. Are you indexing?

When searching (and this is the more important part), various
caches are used to speed up searches. A substantial part of
your index may be held in memory at various points.

70M just isn't very much memory, I think you'll have to get
more if at all possible.

Best
Erick