lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <>
Subject Re: Indexation takes a lot of time :(
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 09:15:51 GMT
15 minutes for 28k docs does sound very slow.

In my experience it's usually the reading of the raw data from
database or network or wherever that turns out to be the problem.  You
could easily check that by commenting out the lucene calls in your

See also

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:08 AM, ZYWALEWSKI, DANIEL (DANIEL)
<> wrote:
> Hello Champions !!
> I have a problem with indexation(or should I say its time); So the elements to Index
are represtented by my own class - DocumentToIndex that consists of Fields(one Field is a
fieldName and fieldValue). All documentToIndex are kept/stocked in ArrayList. When I start
indexing firstly I open IndexWriter then for each field of documentToIndex I take its value
and name and I create Lucene Field then added to the LuceneDocument; Once it's finished (creation
of LuceneDocument I add it to index). After passing all documents I close IndexWriter; All
this can be represented by code:
> indexWriter = new IndexWriter(indexDirectory, indexAnalyzer, false, IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED);
>      for (DocumentToIndex documentToIndex : objectsToIndex) {
>        Document indexedDocument = new Document();
>        for (int i = 0; i < documentToIndex.getDocumentSize(); i++) {
>          indexedDocument.add(new Field(documentToIndex.getDocumentField(i).getName(),
>                                        documentToIndex.getDocumentField(i).getValue(),
>                                        Field.Index.ANALYZED));
>        }
>        indexWriter.addDocument(indexedDocument);
>      }
> indexWriter.close()
> My problem is that it takes much time to index. For example to index 28310 documentToIndex
I need about 15min. Do I miss something or it's normal? Maybe this code is not really optimized?
I'll be really grateful for any hints and tips;
> Thanks in advance,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message