lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:47:26 GMT
The general and short answer is:

Highlighter: highlights more query types, has a fairly rich API, doesn't scale well to very
large documents (though https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2939 is going to help
a lot here) - does not require that you store term vectors, but is faster if you do.

FVH: works with fewer query types and requires that you store term vectors - but scales better
than the std Highlighter to very large documents

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco