lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NRT consistency
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:52:05 GMT

On Apr 10, 2011, at 4:34 AM, Em wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am currently trying to understand Lucene's Near-Real-Time-Feature which
> was covered in "Lucene in Action, Second Edition".
>
> Let's say I got a distributed system with a master and a slave.
>
> In Solr replication is solved by checking for any differences in the
> index-directory and to consume those differences to keep indices consistent.
>
> How is this possible within a NRT-System? Is there any possibility to
> consume snapshots of the internal buffer of the index writer to send them to
> the slave?

I think for near real time, Solr index replication may not be appropriate. Though I think
it would be cool to use Andrzej's mythical single pass index splitter to create a single+
doc segment that could be shipped around.

Most likely, a system that just sends each doc to each replica is probably going to work a
lot better. Introduces other issues of course - some of which we hope to alleviate with further
SolrCloud work.

> Regards,
> Em
>
> --