lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Garrick Toubassi <gtouba...@yahoo.com>
Subject Alternative field compression scheme
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 21:50:41 GMT
I am exploring alternative field compression schemes, designed to perform more
effectively on small documents.  In particular to be more effective compressing
stored fields that show repetitive structure across fields, but not necessarily
within a field.  I have been working with a significant index from the ShopStyle
search/shopping engine, and have achieved compression rates exceeding that of
gzip.  The work related to this project is at
https://github.com/gtoubassi/femtozip.

I'd like to connect with lucene users who would benefit from more effective
compression of their stored fields to assess applicability of femtozip.  Note as
part of the project I have a simple tool which can analyze an index to compare
compression rates of femtozip vs gzip
(https://github.com/gtoubassi/femtozip/wiki/Indexanalyzer).

gt