lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issue with disk space on UNIX
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:13:12 GMT
This sounds like you're not closing your index searchers and the file system
is keeping them around. On the Unix box, does hour index space reappear
just by restarting the process?

Not using reopen correctly is sometimes the culprit, you need something like
this (taken from the javadocs).
 IndexReader reader = ...
 IndexReader new = r.reopen();
 if (new != reader) {
   ...     // reader was reopened
   reader.close();
 }
 reader = new;

the mistake is to write something like:
reader = reader.reopen();
in which case the underlying reader is never closed.

Best
Erick