lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: How to do an all field search without using a "catchall" fieldor "MultiFieldQueryParser" ?
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:17:33 GMT
> I'd have to create a similarly sized array of Boolean.Occur too, isn't it?

What for?

> 1. Is that how SIREn implements it?

No idea.

> 2. Is that optimal solution if I'm going to have an index of a billion docs with varying
number of fields?

Probably not.  I always use a catchall field.  I don't claim that is
optimal, certainly not for your circumstances which I know nothing
about, but it works for me.  Sure, it makes the index bigger but not
dramatically so, for my data anyway. There is no need to store it,
just index it.  And unless you need to search on the individual fields
that contribute to the catchall you don't need them indexed.

Disk space is cheap and I assume you have suitable hardware to support
your billion doc index/sharded indexes.

--
Ian.