lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Diviacco <patrick.divia...@gmail.com>
Subject comparing lucene scores across queries
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:43:47 GMT
Hi,

sorry I've already asked few days ago, but I got no reply and I really need
some help on this..

I'm running several queries against a doc collection. The queries are
documents of the collection itself, I need to measure how similar is each
document to the rest of the collection.

Now, Lucene returns me a score per query, but I've been told such score is
not comparable across queries. Is this correct ?

For example, arem't these scores comparable ?
query1, score:8.324234
query2, score:3.324238

If so, why not ? Isn't the cosine similarity between the query vector and
collection docs vectors ? I really need a comparable measure.

thanks