lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <>
Subject Re: Performance problems with lazily loaded fields
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:22:48 GMT
Don't do that <G>.... Let's back up a second and
ask why in the world you want to do this, what's the
use-case you're satisfying? Because spinning through
all the results and getting information from the underlying
documents is inherently expensive since, as Sanne
says, you're doing disk seeks. Most Lucene apps
only do this for a few documents (think pages) of a

So understanding why you want to do this may allow
some alternatives to be suggested.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Brian Hurt <> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with the performance of lazily-loaded fields with
> lucene.  The basic structure of the code is that I get a set of documents
> back from a query, then iterate through them, reading most fields to collect
> fragments.  This is taking an excessively long amount of time- mostly in my
> call to getField on the document.  Each such call takes milliseconds,
> meaning a query that even returns only a few dozen items takes me hundreds
> of milliseconds to process, which is causing problems elsewhere.  So the
> question I have is if there is some way I can optimize the loading of
> fields?  I am calling the doc function on the index search with a null
> FieldSelector, but this does not seem to reduce the cost of getting fields
> (indeed, it seems to slow down the whole query processing by a significant
> factor).  Is there any help anyone can give me?
> Thanks.
> Brian

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: