lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Brian Hurt <bhur...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance problems with lazily loaded fields
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:16:11 GMT
I'm having a problem with the performance of lazily-loaded fields with
lucene.  The basic structure of the code is that I get a set of documents
back from a query, then iterate through them, reading most fields to collect
fragments.  This is taking an excessively long amount of time- mostly in my
call to getField on the document.  Each such call takes milliseconds,
meaning a query that even returns only a few dozen items takes me hundreds
of milliseconds to process, which is causing problems elsewhere.  So the
question I have is if there is some way I can optimize the loading of
fields?  I am calling the doc function on the index search with a null
FieldSelector, but this does not seem to reduce the cost of getting fields
(indeed, it seems to slow down the whole query processing by a significant
factor).  Is there any help anyone can give me?

Thanks.

Brian