lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Grouping...
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 17:55:30 GMT

On Mar 22, 2011, at 6:43 AM, Dawn Zoƫ Raison wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Before I run off and reinvent the wheel here - has anyone done any form of result grouping
with lucene?

> My use case looks something like this:
> Newspaper pages are stored as documents in the lucene index.
> I need to list the newpapers that match my criteria in date order, so that I can then
in a subsequent search enumerate the first n pages from each. n is derived from the UI - in
this case the screen width the user has available.
> Ideally I'd want to pull all papers for a given date - so a way to pull a result set
that identifies a set of dates that have pages stored against them would be ideal. It seems
to me that the only way to do this at present would be to define a custom collector and aggregate
such a result set on the fly?

> My reason for wanting to group is so that I can easily compute the next/previous start
indexes as the user browses through the timeline. If I have to include the (variable) page
count each time it gets convoluted. More so since some pages may be missing from each paper.

> Any thoughts appreciated.

Have you looked at Solr and date faceting capabilities?  Also, it has result grouping, but
I think you are just describing faceting/filtering.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem docs using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search