lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dawn Zoƫ Raison <d...@digitorial.co.uk>
Subject Grouping...
Date Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:43:21 GMT
Hi Folks,

Before I run off and reinvent the wheel here - has anyone done any form
of result grouping with lucene?

My use case looks something like this:
Newspaper pages are stored as documents in the lucene index.
I need to list the newpapers that match my criteria in date order, so
that I can then in a subsequent search enumerate the first n pages from
each. n is derived from the UI - in this case the screen width the user
has available.
Ideally I'd want to pull all papers for a given date - so a way to pull
a result set that identifies a set of dates that have pages stored
against them would be ideal. It seems to me that the only way to do this
at present would be to define a custom collector and aggregate such a
result set on the fly?

My reason for wanting to group is so that I can easily compute the
next/previous start indexes as the user browses through the timeline. If
I have to include the (variable) page count each time it gets
convoluted. More so since some pages may be missing from each paper.

Any thoughts appreciated.

--

Rgds.
*Dawn Raison*