lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From David Causse <dcau...@spotter.com>
Subject Re: Is ConcurrentMergeScheduler useful for multiple running IndexWriter's?
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:51:51 GMT
On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 07:02:48AM -0800, Jason Rutherglen wrote:
> ConcurrentMergeScheduler is tied to a specific IndexWriter, however if
> we're running in an environment (such as Solr's multiple cores, and
> other similar scenarios) then we'd have a CMS per IW.  I think this
> effectively disables CMS's max thread merge throttling feature?

Hi,

We've made the same statement, so we switched to SerialMergeScheduler,
in our case lucene run in a managed container with lot of indexes and
lot of of updates.
In some cases we noticed the creation of too much short lived thread,
(mostly due to a not so smart IW usage, the new NRT Reader helps in this
way).
A good idea would be MergeScheduler implementation that accept an
application controlled thread pool, some sort of
ExecutorServiceMergeScheduler.

Regards.

--
David Causse