lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sirish Vadala <sirishre...@gmail.com>
Subject Issue with disk space on UNIX
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 17:55:51 GMT
Hello All:

Background:
I have a text based search engine implemented in Java using Lucene 3.0.
Indexing and re-indexing happens every night at 1 am as a scheduled process.
The index size is around 1 gig and is recreated every night.

Issues
1. Now I have a peculiar problem that happens only on my UNIX server. Every
night after deleting the existing indexes and recreating the new, the disk
loses around 1 gig space. When I look into the directory, I see a new file
created with same size as the previous one, still overall space is lost.

2. Also, there is an issue with RAM memory. During indexing the memory
occupancy is high, which is understandable. However, the memory occupancy
remains the same even after completing the indexing process and this keeps
increasing day by day until the server runs out of memory in a few weeks.
This happens both on my Windows and Unix servers.

Any help or hint on possible solutions to fix the above issues is highly
appreciated.

Thanks.