lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: fields : stored and indexed
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:22:04 GMT
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/fileformats.html will tell you all
you need to know about what is stored where and how.

In general, the speed of searching i.e. finding matching docs will not
be affected by the number of stored fields but retrieving data from
lots of stored fields will certainly take longer than retrieving data
from fewer stored fields.

Only index the fields you need to search on and only store the fields
you need to retrieve.  If you only need to retrieve some of the stored
fields use a FieldSelector.

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ImproveSearchingSpeed has good info
on making searching fast.

--