lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bigrams for CJK with ICUTokenizer ?
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:19:16 GMT
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Burton-West, Tom <tburtonw@umich.edu> wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>
> Lucene 2740 looks really interesting.  In the meantime a JIRA issue for this sounds
like a good idea since I'm guessing other people would like to use the ICUTokenizer but would
also like bigrams for CJK.

> I'm a bit confused over the relationship of the queryparser to the filter chain and whether
a filter in the chain after the ICUTokenizer could construct bigrams if the ICUTokenizer is
spitting out unigrams and the queryparser is then converting the unigrams to a Boolean clauses
(i.e. autoGeneratePhraseQueries=false.)

the QP only sees two things:
1. the input string, which it parses before the analyzer
2. the result of the entire analyzer (tokenizer and all filters).

So in this case, only #2 would be different, as the entire analyzer
would output AB, BC instead of A, B, C
With your settings, for an input of ABC, you will get a regular
boolean query with AB, BC.
If the user puts "ABC" in quotes though, you will get a phrase query of "AB BC"

> If ABC is a string of Han characters and the ICUTokenizer spit out unigrams A B C  (and
we have autoGeneratePhraseQueries set to false) won't the next filter in the chain get each
of the unigrams in a Boolean clause one at a time?  I guess I don't see how the next filter
in the chain can reassemble the unigrams into overlapping bigrams.   Maybe I'm not understanding
how tokens get passed from one filter to the next when one of the filters (or in this case
the tokenizer) breaks a token up into multiple tokens.

In this case it works just like a selective shinglefilter?

> Or am I getting index time analysis confused with query time analysis?
> Did you mean that ICUTokenizer could be modified to output bigrams  or that a filter
could be designed that would take the output of the ICUTokenizer and create shingles on tokens
with the attribute for Han?

I think the latter. this way, we can provide the most options: unigram
(what it does by default: A,B,C), but also filters for bigram (AB BC),
or unibigram  (A, AB, B, BC, C)
This is why i said, we can make these filters experimental for now,
because ideally at some point you will be able to use shinglefilter
"conditionally" over the ScriptAttribute for these use-cases, without
having to have a special filter.