lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Lokendra Singh <lsingh....@gmail.com>
Subject Converting an existing index format to Lucene Index
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:26:52 GMT
Hi all,

I am seeking for some guidelines to directly convert an already existing
index to Lucene index.
The index available to me is of a set of <value1,value2> pairs. Where each
pair is :
< word ,  fileName >
i.e a word as a 'value1', and the 'value2' being the fileName containing
that word.

A word might appear in several fileNames as well a same file can contain
multiple copies of a word. For eg, following index is possible:
< "my"  , "file1" >
< "you" , "file2" >
< "my",  "file2" >
< "my", "file1">

My actual problem is that the index available to me is very large in size,
hence I am bit reluctant to create 'Document' object for each file because
for that I will have to read through all the pairs first and store them in
memory. Or I will have to 'update' the 'Document' object of a particular
file while iterating through the Pairs of my index, this 'update', again, is
a costly operation.

Please correct me if my understanding of Lucene is wrong or other
alternative ways.

Regards
Lokendra