lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: recurrent IO/CPU peaks
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:49:32 GMT
On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:15 AM,  <v.sevel@lombardodier.com> wrote:

> Here is how long it took for each run :
>  - default : run 1 = 55 minutes, run 2 = 59 minutes
>  - balanced : run 1 = 145 minutes, run 2 = 121 minutes
>
> Is that an expected behavior?

Hmm BalancedSegmentMergePolicy was over 2X slower to optimize...?
That's curious.

Though, BSMP is supposed to be better only for the non-optimize case
(ie just adding/deleting docs and never calling optimize).  It tries
to defer picking very large segment merges.

You could also try the TieredMergePolicy (currently still a patch on
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-854); it also tries to not
over-merge like LogByteSizeMergePolicy does (sometimes).  I wrote
about this in http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2011/02/visualizing-lucenes-segment-merges.html

--
Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com